Triticale Research Associate – Vernon, TX – Full-time
Triticale Plant Breeder
Research Associates will assist in all phases of a breeding program and all operations related to field trials, seed preparation, field plot management, data collection, harvesting, greenhouse operations and trial plots.
Duties include but are not limited to:
1. Develop proficiency with appropriate research equipment including plot planters and harvesters, hand-held electronic data collection devices, infra-red reflectance technologies (Greenseeker), chemical application equipment, forage harvesters and other equipment as required to accomplish the goals of the research program.
2. Together with other members of the research team, conduct the operations necessary to successfully execute the triticale research program including designing field trials, preparation of seed for planting, installation of field plots, preparing seed for greenhouse planting (including proper vernalization), collecting field data as directed by both the Plant Breeder and Associate Plant Breeder, arranging for off-site cooperator trials, harvesting plots and analyzing and interpreting data.
3. Maintain a safe work environment. Perform safety inspections, participate in all scheduled safety trainings and assist in providing safety training and guidance to field personnel.
4. Supervise and train temporary employees.
5. Work closely with other research sites to keep program operating efficiently
6. Participate with the team to successfully maintain Northern Seed Quality Standards.
7. Assist in other projects and perform other duties as and when required.
Desired Skills and Experience:
• BS in Agronomy / Crop Production or 10 yrs work experience
• Minimum 2 year research experience or equivalent work experience
• Good interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
• Basic computer skills and working knowledge of Microsoft programs including (Excel, Word, etc.) a benefit
• Texas Pesticide Applicators license or ability to obtain a license
• Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license and satisfactory driving record
• Required overnight travel and late evenings
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS, but not all inclusive:
Willing and able to work in a variety of areas (field, plant, warehouse)
Willing and able to stand, sit, or bend over for extended periods
Willing and able to work both outdoors and indoors in hot, cold, wet and dry conditions
Willing and able to lift up to 70 lbs. and complete work that involves repetitive motion and/or repetitive lifting
Willingness and ability to work overtime hours including weekend work required during seasonal peaks. This includes overnight trips to off-site locations and additional travel as necessary at off-season locations
1. Base Salary: commensurate with experience
2. Bonus opportunity for outstanding performance
3. Company health benefits plus 401K program with company match
4. Vacation time
5. Company Cell Phone
6. Company computer
About this company:
Northern Agri-Brands, LLC is committed to developing, testing and marketing superior genetics for triticale forage in North America.